About Geek Circus

My photo
Ontario, Canada
Our blog Geek Circus; Samantha & Dylan: Mother and Son team that mesh together their love/obsessions of Gaming, Comics,TV Series, Movies, Books, Collecting, Observations, Photos, T-shirts & Cats. Ramblings. Dylan: Artist,"Passionate" Gamer, Toy Collector, Storyteller, Aspiring Video/Photographer, 16 Dragonborn Paladin, Fanboy; Gamer videos. Samantha: Women geek out too! Journalistic tendencies. My writing has been geared towards Geek Culture, interests from my childhood influenced by 60s,70s,80s. What I enjoy the most about geek culture is meeting interesting people, and telling their stories. X-Files!!!!

Thursday 13 June 2013

Superman Reboot.....AGAIN

Spring is finally here which means the Hollywood blockbuster movie season is now in full swing. There is a lot of films I am looking forward too, except one. Man of Steel another reboot of Superman's origins story. I know a lot of people are awing over the trailer. Some find it poetic and extremely moving, full of intense emotion. I just don't feel it....Man of Steel Trailer
Superman 2013

                                  
Let me explain, first of all Superman has had a long history of TV series starting with Adventures Of Superman (1952-1958). But I come from the Christopher Reeves as Superman generation, back in 1978 when Superman movie debut.Yes I just dated myself. I loved and enjoyed all the movies even Superman 3, which Rotten Tomatoes gave a one star rating with the quote "When not overusing sightgags, slapstick, and Richard Pryor, Superman III resorts to plot points rehashed from the previous Superman flicks." It really was the worst movie out of the four.
Christopher Reeves

Man of Steel is Superman's origin story. Didn't we see that for 10 season on TV in Smallville? For that matter, in every Superman incarnation? Maybe its just me, but it seems like Superman's origin story has been told  and retold so many times that I have no interest in the reboot. In 2006 Superman Returns with Brandon Routh came out and I was looking forward to seeing Bryan Singers version. Brandon had a very Christopher Reeves feel to Superman and I found the movie very nostalgic but slow moving and quiet. It came, got bad reviews and went away. I was kind of hoping DC was done with trying to bring Superman to the big screen. We also had the TV series Lois and Clark (1993-1997) for four season, countless cartoons starting in 1941 and consistently resurrected through the ages to now. As I have mentioned, the TV series Smallville in 2001, which I did watch for almost four seasons was entertaining. Up to Smallville we haven't explored Clark Kent as a regular person before he was Superman. But even after almost 4 seasons I moved on. That's when I realized I'm not a huge fan of Sups and I don't particularly like him.
Brandon Routh

He is pretty much one dimensional, not much of personalty, an EGO the size of the universe, and a narcissist to boot!  He is a complete ass to Batman (who has much more depth of character, better stories and much better movies. I digress) anyone can control Superman with little coloured rocks and his "disguise" is the WORST EVER! Please is everyone around Superman that oblivious, that just putting on a pair of glasses alters his appearance that much?? Really? But more than any of that. Its always the same story of Superman they tell. This is just the big screen version of Smallville without Tom Welling. And why could they not keep Tom Welling as Superman? oh wait, I know because Its the SAME story about Superman! But new actors make it all new and shiny. I thought at some point I would want to see Man of Steel. But after writing this, I just gave myself more reasons not too.
picture courtesy of comicbookmovie.com
DC has a HUGE universe of Characters. Maybe its time they venture away from the big guys like Batman and Sups and try some other characters the general masses might not be familiar with. Tell NEW stories and maybe DC will give me something to be excited about. That said I don't want to see Man of Steel fail. Maybe if DC get the kudos they crave so much with this reboot, they will move on to other DC characters.

Good luck Man of Steel. I hope this time around all you Superman fans get a movie worthy of your devotion.

Man of Steel  North American premiere June 14th


Check out -  The Evolution of Superman (Animated Series)

No comments:

Post a Comment